February 14, 2006

Eh, it was ok

Desperate Housewives
Original airdate: 2.12.06

So, I've essentially given up on this show, but I still TiVo it and feel compelled to give anything I TiVo a fair shake. So, in that vein, I watched this episode TiVo-styles...which means that I sped through the scenes that looked annoying (most of them having Tom and Lynette and their ridiculous boss eating donuts out of toilets) and watched, more or less, scenes that appeared to have some comedy and/or drama (most of those scenes being with Gabrielle kicking the hell out of a nun).

Last year, when I began to watch this series with 26.2 million of my closest friends, I really liked the Susan character. She was quirky, fun, cute, sweet, etc. She was a hoot to watch and it was easy to root for her. Now she's as grating as the rest of them. Plagued by insecurities (why she has them is anyone's guess since she has the body, looks and kindness to feel just fine about herself), she tends to do stupid things. Annoying things. Grating things. This week's little number was agreeing to (or did she actually, since, well, I watched this TiVo-styles) marry her ex-husband for his insurance benefits. I'm also not getting why this is necessary at all. THERE HAS to be a better way to get benefits, starting with a trip to her local Kaiser. Or whatever. If she lives on Wysteria Lane, she can afford a little operation. Who's with me??

So, Susan used to be my favorite. Then came little Gabrielle and her hot Latina ways. Actually, her hot funny ways. Frankly. Eva Longoria is very good at what she does. She's crazy overexposed (to the point where seeing her face sends me into seizures) but she has talent. Besides Marcia Cross, she has her character nailed to a tee, and she is just great to watch. She's incredibly tiny, and when she spars with whoever is in her way - from ex-cons to husbands to gardeners and to th aforementioned nuns - she is on her game. This episode was no different. She really made me believe that she had true and honest doubts about starting a family, and it was easy to relate to her. In addition, her ability to get rid of Nunny-Dearest was THE BEST. That fool had it coming!

So, if Eva Longoria is that good, how come Felicity Huffman gets all the props? I'll tell you why - because she is also a movie actress, and since TV critics, stars, directors et. al can't get over the fact that they're working for TV and not for film, they always assume that anyone who has a successful film career is a better actress than anyone who's stuck to TV. And that's nonsense and we all know it. In Felicity's case, even though her character's personality and storyline is part of the reason why she can't really show off her acting chops, I also think she chooses to be lazy. She knows she has everyone wrapped around her little finger, so why try harder? Why try and make Lynette relatable or even believable? Why show the viewers how and why Tom actually stays with her? Why demonstrate one good reason why those kids don't hate her? 'Cause she's lazy.

This episode was ok. And looks like Danielle Van De Kamp is about to get jumped!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home